Prophet of Justice and Fairness
17 Jun, 2008
- Omar, the second Caliph, who ruled after Abu Bakr, was a typical Muslim idiot of his time. He burned Alexandria library when the Muslims invaded Egypt. At the time, that library contained human accumulated knowledge of literature and science through the ages. This is why I call him an idiot. Omar was the reason, I believe, for Muhammad claiming the revelation that ordered veiling of women. This is why I feel justified in calling him an idiot. Believe me; I do not call people idiots lightly. I am a soft spoken person in general. There has to be a very good reason for calling a person an idiot, and Omar proved to be worthy of the title. Omar was an irrational man, and was a hard core thug and criminal. However, he was very close to the prophet. He was one of his right hands (i.e. looting generals). He was clearly in that position in the early medina days of Muhammad. This article deals with a vicious crime that Omar did in cold blood, and with the “Just” and “Fair” punishment by the prophet of Justice and Fairness Muhammad, Allah’s gift to humanity.
The story goes as follows:
During the early medina days, a Muslim man needed someone to judge on a matter between him and a Jewish man. The Jewish man was nice and told the Muslim man that they should go to Prophet Muhammad to make a decision. The Muslim man refused and told him that they should go to Omar for a decision on the matter. The Muslim man knew that Omar had a particular dislike to the Jews. The Jewish man was nice again and agreed to go to Omar. Both went to Omar’s house, and Omar told them something like:” Folks, don’t come to me. Go to Prophet Muhammad to decide”. The Muslim man did not like that and told Omar:” No, I want you to decide”. Omar told him to wait. He went inside and came back with his sword and sliced the Muslim man’s neck and killed him.
I leave it to the reader to decide what kind of punishment Omar should get for what he did. Remember, this event took place 1400 years ago in barbaric Arabia.
Now, let us follow how the events unfolded after Omar’s crime. Muhammad was sad to hear of what happened. However, Omar was one of the most faithful and most loyal to the prophet. It wouldn’t be right to put him to death because of his crime. True, a life for a life was the rule. But hey, we are talking about Omar. His life is worth quite a bit more than other men. And so, leave it to Mo, and he’ll find a way. What is better than a divine revelation to settle matters! So, Muhammad tells the people: “Rejoice! Allah came to me with verses that set Al-Khattab (that is Omar) free.” Here are the Qur’anic Jewels:
O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if ye do believe in Allah and the Last Day: That is best, and most suitable for final determination. [4.59 YUSUFALI]
But no, by the Lord, they can have no (real) Faith, until they make thee judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against Thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction. [4.65 YUSUFALI]
In other words, Muhammad is saying:” Look, the man who Omar killed is not a Muslim after all. If he had real faith, he would have come to me for a decision to start with. Instead he went to Omar and showed that he is a man of no faith. He is not a Muslim folks.” Because he was not a Muslim, it was okay for Omar to kill him. Such is the logic of the man who is supposed to be an example (Qudwa) to mankind. Such is the justice exemplified through Allah’s best creation, Muhammad. True Muslims keep telling us that one cannot understand the Qur’an without looking at the context and the reasons behind the revelation (Asbab Alnizool). Well, I have introduced to the reader the reasons behind the above so-called revelations. To summarize and clarify matters, I’d like to put down the five reasons that, in my view, establish Omar and Muhammad as true criminals in the above story:
- Omar did commit the crime in cold blood.
- The man who was killed was a Muslim.
- Muhammad claimed that the murdered man was not a Muslim after all. This is a lie. Even in modern day Arabia, people go to respected people for mediations in conflicts. I am confident that this was done during the time of Muhammad. People would go to Muhammad, Omar, Abu Bakr,..etc. to settle disputes. It is not unusual to have multiplicity of “respected” men who can settle disputes. I know that such events of settling disputes still occur in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Syria and Jordan. This is a custom that Arabs still practice. It would be an overwhelming job to do for one person alone. Actually, I suspect that people everywhere go to some “leaders” they respect to make some decisions about specific conflicts.
- Muhammad’s judgment against Omar was no more than a joke. Omar went scot-free after murdering a man in cold blood.
- Muhammad sanctioned Omar’s crime through a Qur’anic revelation. How low can the Prophet go on the moral ladder of ethical standards is beyond me.
The above story is a clear condemnation of Omar, Muhammad’s teachings and revelations. Omar went scot-free after murdering a man in cold blood. Muhammad put a stamp of approval on the incident. Both Muhammad and Omar sunk very low from a moral point of view. Both are flat out criminals. I just can’t see it any other way. Any decent human being should have the same view about this incident. Also, history tells us that when the Muslims in medina heard of this revelation, they danced and rejoiced. Does that remind you of the Muslim street mobs behavior nowadays after awful and horrific events like 9/11? My friend, the chain extends back to the early thugs and what they did after their horrific crimes of murders and genocides.
Ibn Kamuna an Arabic-speaking writer. He can be contacted at email@example.com.